Optimizing for local search for your gym is crucial to getting leads online. Since you’re a gym or a fitness business, you’ll probably want people who are local to find you. If you’re located in Florida, it doesn’t help you get more members if you target people in California.
Here are the main ways to improve your local search:
- On-Site Optimization
- Google Places
- Social Media
We’ll go into each of these in detail.
- Use your city and state in your homepage title. It could look like this: <title>Awesome Gym in Venice, CA</title>
- Use a phone number on your pages with a local area code. Also, include the physical address of your gym.
- Use your location in your logos alt attribute. It would look like: <img src=”http://example.com/images/logo.png” alt=”Awesome Gym, Venice, CA”>
- Regularly blog and include content and images that are related to your local area.
- Display testimonials on your site, especially from people or businesses who are local.
Claim your listings on these citation sites and directories.
5. Merchant Circle
26. Discover our Town
28. EZ Local
37. Local Site Submit
41. Yellow Assistance
42. Get Fave
42. My Huckleberry
46. Magic Yellow
49. Navteq GPS
50. Judy’s Book
An easy way to get your listings setup is MOZ Local
- Ask your current clients to leave you reviews. After 5 reviews on Google Places you will unlock the star rating system. This really helps you stick out.
- Respond to negative reviews. Do not get into online battles with people. Be professional.
- Upload at least 5 photos including your logo. You can add videos as well.
- Upload the correct info such as addresses and phone numbers.
- Get more than five positive reviews to unlock the star rating.
- If you upgrade to premium you can create offers.
- Fill out a Google+ Local page.
- Create a Twitter profile
- Create a Facebook profile
- Create a YouTube account
- Claim your Foursquare business listing
This should be plenty to get your started on your local search journey. Remember, this isn’t a “set it and forget it” type of deal. You need to be actively working on this such as consistently getting review and being active on social media and blogging. If you go through everything on this list, you should definitely see a boost in your local rankings.