“On average, five times as many people read the headline as read the body copy. When you have written your headline, you have spent eighty cents out of your dollar.” -Advertising Legend, David Ogilvy
Your headline is probably the most important aspect of your advertisement, article or post. It’s what will determine whether or not someone will decide to hear what you’re offering. If your headline doesn’t arouse their attention, then the best body copy in the world certainly won’t pull them in. Below, I’ve written 4 highly common, yet highly effective fill-in-the-blank headlines that you can use to arouse attention.
Simply replace the words in bracket with your own relevant words.
1. The How To Headline: This type of headline is extremely popular and has been around forever. But it works.
- How to [learn to shred on guitar] in [90 days or less]
- How to [start an online business] and [keep your day job]
- How to [knit mittens] and make [1k per month on the side]
- How to [wrestle a grizzly bear] and [still make it home for dinner]
2. Number Headlines: These headlines include specific numbers and are often formed as lists.
- The top [100 tips] for [starting a blog] on a budget
- 7 ways [Crossfit] will change your life
- 21 [home business ideas] to [earn money] on the side
- The 3 secrets of [tying your shoes] and [never trip again]
3. Question Headlines: These headlines simply ask a question.
- Why you’re [still overweight after diet after diet]
- Did you, know that [75% of all people have addiction problems?]
- What if you knew the step-by-step system to [get the job of your dreams?]
- Where will you be in 5 years if you don’t handle your [anxiety] now?
4. Fast/Easy Headlines: Most people want things to be easy and they want them yesterday. Headlines that show something being easy or fast work great.
- (Classic Headline) The lazy man’s way to riches
- 7 easy steps to learn [any song on guitar]
- The fastest way to [lose weight] on a shoestring budget
- The quick and easy way to [buy clothes online]
These are just some headline ideas to get started. Try experimenting with some permutations of these and see what you can come up with. Remember, a headline needs to grab the readers attention enough so they will move on to the next step.